Skip to main content

Me and Mr. Hollywood - Chapter 6

I began to open Donovan's messages as soon as I walked through the bathroom door. I didn't bother waiting until I was privately tucked away in a stall. There weren't as many ladies coming in and out of the bathroom as there was earlier. I assumed they were all making there way out to the floor at that point. That or they were finishing the final touches to their looks. As I inched closer to the sink opposite the bathroom door, I scrolled to the top of our message thread until I found where our conversation last left off. The first message I read, from when I was taking my nap earlier that day said,
"Cori Please just call me so I can explain everything. It really isn't what it seemed."
The next message was more begging and pleading,
"Cori oh my gosh, you have to believe me. I didn't know she was coming here. It looks bad I know, but I would never play you. I meant every single word I said."

There was a large time gap in between those first couple messages and the texts that followed. I guess after a few hours of my silence, Donovan had, had enough of being gracious about the situation. It made me giggle a little at how his frustration was so intensely evident through his texts. You would have thought that I was the one who fucked up here.
"CORI WTF MY NIGGA JUST ANSWER THE PHONE!"
"CORI! CORIIIIIIII! You gotta be fuckin' kiddin me dawg."
"You gon have to hear me out eventually so stop playing hard like damn. You always wanna be the fuckin' tough guy." And they just kept going on like that for the next 3 or so messages. Then all of a sudden the texts began to tell a story. He wasn't waiting to be acknowledged. He had something to say whether I was paying attention or not.

As I read, Donovan was trying to paint a picture of who the woman was and why she had a key to his place. He explained how she was an old fling that had long burnt out before that day, but she wasn't the type to let go of things that easily.
"I met her like 7/8 months ago at an after party for one of my movie premieres. She got into VIP somehow, slipped her number into my phone somehow and she been on me ever since," Donovan began his explanation. I thought to myself how full of shit he was as I rolled my eyes. It's so convenient how he wasn't interested, but she was thirsty and desperate and unwilling to let anything go. He continued to explain how they had sex the night they met and it became a thing between the two of them whenever he came into town.

Apparently the young lady was struggling financially and Donovan, trying to be a nice guy ended up giving her a key to his apartment to use whenever he was in town and she needed a place to crash. But how you know that bitch was only keying in your crib when you were in town, I thought to myself. Donovan had a house in LA in addition to his New York apartment and he spent a lot more time actually living there. There's no way he would be able to tell if someone was in his place or not when he wasn't there. I was starting to shift from one train of thought to the other, getting distracted from the task at hand. I directed my attention back to the grocery list of missed texts. I still had a handful or so left to read through.

According to the texts, the chick hadn't heard from Donovan in a while and I guess she felt like she had to let the movie star know he wasn't going to play her like she was some groupie hoe, so she thought it'd be a smart idea to pop up unannounced. Sometimes women just came off extremely weird to me because when has any woman been able to let herself into a man's home unannounced successfully, especially if the two of them aren't involved?  Nonetheless, Donovan still wasn't innocent in my eyes. A part of me felt like there were details being left out from this explanation. Now how much of it, I'm not sure, but there had to be some more incriminating facts to this. I could have been wrong, but my intuition was always spot on, and I was getting the nagging feeling that this woman wouldn't thirst after him for seven or eight months without some kind of positive reinforcement on his end.

I started skimming at this point because the messages were extremely long and detailed. I was interrupted momentarily by the bathroom door swinging open in a rather dramatic fashion. I hadn't really noticed that I was completely alone up until that point. The loud bang of the door hitting the wall before it swung back closed brought my consciousness back to what was currently happening around me. I snapped my head up to see Cherry and Bella standing in the doorway, staring at me like I stole something. It was only then did I realize that I had been in the bathroom for a while.
"Wtf are you doin' in here girl. You missin' all the fun," Cherry fussed at me.
"I ain't even been in here that long, pipe down ma," I replied innocently.
"Babe come on, forget yo fuckin' phone and come dance with me," said Bella in her famous seductive tone. "I miss you," she added as she frowned and batted her eyelashes for dramatic effect.
"Alright boo boo, I'm coming right now," I said mimicking Bella's sad and sweet tone.
"Go head, babies," I instructed. "I'm right behind you." My two drunk friends reluctantly agreed to leave the bathroom without me before slowly dragging themselves back out the the club floor.

"Alright, let me hurry the fuck up before these girls kill me," I mumbled aloud to myself. Again, I was skimming through the bulk of the message, looking for any details that seemed important or just simply stood out to me. I still hadn't planned on speaking to Donovan just yet, but I wanted to be prepared when it was time to read his mack daddy ass for thinking he could get away with being Hollywood with me. As I got closer to the bottom, I saw something that stuck out like a target sign. I saw that he provided a name for the mystery bitch. He called her Violet. He said that Violet finally left after a couple hours only because a friend called her and told her she wanted to meet up at some strip club later that night. Suddenly my face started to get hot. As I read more, my suspicions became even stronger. Was the girl, sitting out there with my friends, the same girl who was in Donovan's apartment earlier that day. I quickly began to think of any features I could remember from the quick glimpses I was able to get. Maybe the hair color was similar with this copper/honey blonde type color.

Maybe they were the same complexion too, but other than that I wasn't sure.
I thought if there was anything about the chick that stuck out in my memory, but nothing came to mind at first. Then I remembered small details like this unique gemstone type ring she was wearing on her right hand and a large asian character tattoo on the back of her neck, that I probably wouldn't have noticed had Donovan not worked so hard to keep her back towards me the whole time I was with them in the house. Then suddenly I remembered the perfume and Toya pointed out that girl as the one who bought it. I then knew that my suspicions were spot on. I was frozen from shock. Thoughts of how to handle this situation flooded my brain and I couldn't seem to catch my breath. I knew Bella and the girls were waiting for me and that's the only thing that snapped me out of my panic attack. I decided the best thing to do would be to act as if I didn't know that Violet was the girl at Donovan's apartment. It made no sense to ruin the night with drama when my issue was with Donovan.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bottom

Days have come and gone and yet my heart still feels incomplete. Half there, half missing as I embark on this journey of endurance called life and self discovery. I've managed to stay afloat, to keep my head above water even as the chaotic waves         jerk me              around    violently. Constantly thrown                by the weight of                                off track the pressure I feel to make it. So many times where I want nothing more than to stop swimming... Yes there are times when I want nothing more than to sit it stillness and wait as I see how long for those life altering waves to consume me. Who knows what tomorrow will bring? Will it be success or will it be one disastrous storm after another, destroying everything in its path until there's no longer any hope to lose.

What is born under water?

"I was born under water"...I'm actually surprised by the amount of questions I get on this because it is a song lyric, but at the same time I get it. It's not the first thing that pops into your head. Anyway....before I get into the explanation of the the meaning of these lyrics and it's significance to me, I want to take the time to introduce myself which will lead to my point of explaining these lyrics. I am Kennie. I like to go by Kennie because it's easier for people to say for some weird reason. Kennie is short for Akenya...an African name my father insisted I have (very pro black, explains where I get it from). It means artist basically or something like that based on the book he got it from. (Fun fact: it's a man's name. Lol) However doing my own research I haven't been able to find the information from the name book he has. I did find a name that sounded like a variation of my name "Akinyi" and it's of East African or

an excerpt of a poem entitled Thirteen Ways to Watch a Flower

In the sun as her beams shine, Sits the flower center stage Basking in all the glory Fresh scent of Mother Earth all around I lay back as if I am apart of nature And inhale the beauty of one flower It sways and rocks to and fro Like the curves of a woman Dancing in the night Listen closely as you hear the bees Buzzing around to find that one flower That will be the one to share her sweet nectar - Akenya Jenné