Skip to main content

What is born under water?


"I was born under water"...I'm actually surprised by the amount of questions I get on this because it is a song lyric, but at the same time I get it. It's not the first thing that pops into your head.
Anyway....before I get into the explanation of the the meaning of these lyrics and it's significance to me, I want to take the time to introduce myself which will lead to my point of explaining these lyrics.

I am Kennie. I like to go by Kennie because it's easier for people to say for some weird reason. Kennie is short for Akenya...an African name my father insisted I have (very pro black, explains where I get it from). It means artist basically or something like that based on the book he got it from. (Fun fact: it's a man's name. Lol) However doing my own research I haven't been able to find the information from the name book he has. I did find a name that sounded like a variation of my name "Akinyi" and it's of East African origin, which I remember my father telling me my name was as a child. It means "born in the morning" (All this born stuff. I know). And then there is also Kenya that means "of mount Kenya". So I guess I'm a little bit of everything.
I am a Pisces. Because I am a pisces (yes I believe in astrology. Don't kill me.) I am very intuitive and sensitive and artistic and creative and low key psychic and fluid in all aspects of life. Pisces get a bad reputation and I definitely understand why. It takes a very beautiful, very patient soul to get to know and love a pisces from the inside and out. We're very beautiful people if you take the time to actually get to know a pisces. I won't get so deep into all of the specifics, but you can know a pisces for years but if you feel as though their cold, distant, mean, rude, etc... that's because you don't really know who they really are, or they just don't fucking like you. Any who, pisces must learn to become very protective of themselves especially in adult life. We are entirely too sensitive and feel emotion on a way deeper level then most people. There becomes a time where you put nothing past anyone but you are more then willing to open up and allow people in ONLY if they present comfortable conditions for you. It seems selfish but hey that's life sometimes.
Pisces is the 12th and last sign of the zodiac meaning we have a better understanding of all the other signs thus giving us a better sense of the world around us (Serious empaths). For some reason we're really hard to decode and I'm not too sure why because it's close to impossible for a pisces to fake whatever the fuck it is that we're feeling. (I hope y'all don't mind. I like to cuss.) But if you find that pisces companion, be it friend or more, that you are compatible with, you will see that they are probably the best companion you will ever have. Maybe not initially, but eventually. We are emotional creatures who most definitely need strong and grounded individuals in our lives, but we love unconditionally and unselfishly. When pisces find a comfortable home in the hearts of our loved one we become almost subservient to them and will remain as long as they continue to protect us and make us feel safe. 
Fluidity...the meaning of Pisces deriving from the plural word for fish in Latin...the symbol for pisces is two fish swimming in the opposite direction. 

Pisces are fluid by nature we adjust to life's circumstances weather good or bad. We go with the flow and would prefer to do what works for you because we'd rather have you happy then get what we want. 
The fish...only able to survive under water. One of my fellow pisceans Ms. Badu has a song entitled On and On, we all know it. The song itself isn't significant to this too much, being that the song is more about Erykah's views derived from her studies of the Five Percent Nation and their religious beliefs. (LOVE this song by the way!) However the second verse of the song started off with her singing "I was born under water with $3 and 6 dimes". The "$3 and 6 dimes" part comes from the concept of the cipher which means to take the knowledge you gain from texts you read and turn that into a never ending sphere of understanding of everything around you. Erykah is saying that she has a complete cipher, knowledge, wisdom, and understanding (which is a circle btw). 
The first part of the line, "I was born under water" is a pisces reference and from my knowledge of my sun sign, I am going to infer that she may also be announcing that being a pisces is what gives her the ability to reach a complete cipher. 

I know this probably seemed like a long ramble but shut the fuck up if you don't like it! What are blogs for then? In the end I used a song lyric that inspired a tattoo that I used to help me introduce my new venture into the blogging world. I have a tumblr and I have old social networks with blogs full of poetry and thoughts and opinions. I got a big head that's constantly working...I ALWAYS have shit to say! I've always been a writer, writing stories for friends in school and them begging me to finish the next chapter, but books were never finished, lol. Over the years I lost parts of myself and now that I'm growing into womanhood, I can tell that the real me is screaming to come back out. Not saying that I'm fake and not that I care if anyone thinks that I am, but I have to guard myself and be a more closed of, less emotional, quieter version of myself. But the things I once loved to do are finding their way back into my life. What once felt like "I never want to do this shit again because I have nothing to say" has now turned into "oh my gosh, Why have I neglected the things that make me most happy especially when I have so much to pull inspiration from".  I hope this introduction was a helpful one and was good enough to make you come back and read the next. Either way I am definitely on a journey and there is so much information out there that they forget to teach us in school. Whether you agree with my views or not, it's still all love. 

-Kennie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bottom

Days have come and gone and yet my heart still feels incomplete. Half there, half missing as I embark on this journey of endurance called life and self discovery. I've managed to stay afloat, to keep my head above water even as the chaotic waves         jerk me              around    violently. Constantly thrown                by the weight of                                off track the pressure I feel to make it. So many times where I want nothing more than to stop swimming... Yes there are times when I want nothing more than to sit it stillness and wait as I see how long for those life altering waves to consume me. Who knows what tomorrow will bring? Will it be success or will it be one disastrous storm after another, destroying everything in its path until there's no longer any hope to lose.

an excerpt of a poem entitled Thirteen Ways to Watch a Flower

In the sun as her beams shine, Sits the flower center stage Basking in all the glory Fresh scent of Mother Earth all around I lay back as if I am apart of nature And inhale the beauty of one flower It sways and rocks to and fro Like the curves of a woman Dancing in the night Listen closely as you hear the bees Buzzing around to find that one flower That will be the one to share her sweet nectar - Akenya Jenné